Students should utilize UC Merced's VPN service to facilitate remote connectivity and access on-campus resources such as library materials and campus computing resources: https://it.ucmerced.edu/VPN_Changeover
Success in Distance Learning
- Preparing for Distance Learning (Educational Continuity): https://it.ucmerced.edu/EdContinuity_Students
- UC Merced OIT Curated Resources for Students: https://it.ucmerced.edu/CuratedResourcesStudents
- Zoom Virtual Background Images: https://marketing.ucmerced.edu/resources/images/zoom-backgrounds
- Planning for Distance Learning: PDF download
- Strategies for Success in Distance Learning: PDF download
- UC Merced OIT Curated Resources for Students
Resources for Free Internet Access
Xfinity,Comcast is taking immediate steps to make it easier to connect low-income families to home Internet. New Internet Essentials customers will receive two free months of Internet service if you apply and are approved by December 31, 2020. After promotion, regular rates apply.
Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
Request for Loaner Laptop and Wi-Fi Hotspots
Students who need laptops or access to the internet via a hotspot can request these resources through this website: https://ue.ucmerced.edu/technology-resources. You can also request a hotspot from the Guardian Scholars Program by emailing the Program Coordinator to check for availability. Scholars are also able to receive a laptop loaner by completing this form: Laptop Loaning Request. Laptops and hotspots are very limited and are on a first-come, first-served basis.