Guardian Scholars are expected to be as active in the program as possible. There are a few minimum requirements that must be met per semester to receive all of the benefits of the program, including priority registration and the Spring Semester trip. Below are the requirements per semester.
* Please note, for all virtual meetings and events scholars MUST log on using their UCM account.
All first year transfer students are required to attend the GSP Orientation
If you are unable to attend, reach out to the Program Coordinator
Life After College Meetings:
Purpose: The purpose of these meetings is to get scholars to begin to think about their plans after UC Merced. Scholars are required to schedule a meeting with a student coordinator and then the program coordinator at least once per semester. During their meeting with a student coordinator, scholars will begin the process of thinking about their plans for after college. During this meeting the student coordinator will guide them in creating at least two SMART goals that will help them take steps towards their life after college goal. In their next meeting with the program coordinator, scholars will discuss the progress that they have made in completing thier SMART goals. Scholars will then be asked to develop two more SMART goals that will assist them in accomplishing their end goal.
Life After College Meeting Timeline:
Student Coordinator Meeting:
- Meeting should occur between September 4th, - December 1st, 2023
What are SMART goals?
A statement (goal) that clearly lays out the important results that you are trying to accomplish.
SMART goal criteria:
|Specific||Goals should be clearly defined. What actions will you take? Explain this in detail. This usually answers the what, why and how?|
|Measurable||Your goal should be something that can be measured, identified and seen. This will also help you break your goal into measurable parts. For example, how will you know you accomplished your goal?|
|Attainable||Goals should be achievable; they should stretch you slightly so you feel challenged, but be defined well enough so that you can achieve them. Think about what resources, skills, and time are needed to reach your goal.|
|Realistic||Your goals should measure outcomes not activities. The goals should also be relevant to the goal that you are trying to accomplish. For example, consider how may your SMART goal help you accomplish your goals after college?|
What is the time frame for you to accomplish your action plan?
SMART Goal Example:
Goal: I plan to get a job in Human Resources.
SMART Goal 1: Today, I will schedule a meeting with the SSHA career specialist so that they can review and provide feedback on my resume. I will schedule this meeting for a day before meeting with the GSP Program Coordinator in October. Once, I have scheduled my meeting, I will include the day and time on my calendar.
SMART GOAL 2: "I will attend the Human Resources panel that CCPA is hosting on Wednesday, September 8th at 2:00 pm. I will make sure to jot down at least two questions that I can ask during the panel.
Attend at least 1 Social
- Scholars MUST be present at social for at least an hour to receive credit
- Scholars MUST complete event evaluation to receive credit
Attend at least 1 Professional Development Workshop
If the workshop is hosted by GSP, scholars MUST complete event evaluation to receive credit
Scholars can attend a non-GSP event to count toward this requirement as long as it provides support/information about academics, career and/or graduate school preparation. Scholars must complete this "Professional Development" assignment on Catcourses to receive credit.
- We will accept events being hosted by the following departments:
- Center for Career and Professional Advancement
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Center
- UC Merced Graduate Division
- Study Abroad
- Margo F. Souza Student Leadership Center
- Events hosted by their academic school (ex: school of engineering, school of natural sciences etc.)
- If you are interested in attending and receiving credit for an event not hosted by the departments listed above, please contact us
- Scholars may also meet with a career specialist to fulfill the Professional Development Program Requirement.
- Schedule an appointment here.